CYT is dedicated to developing character in children and adults through training in the arts and by producing wholesome family entertainment, all of which reflect Judeo-Christian values.
VALUES AND OBJECTIVES
- Placing the maximum worth on people and treating each individual with respect and significance.
- Developing character values in individuals including commitment, discipline, self-esteem, confidence and integrity.
- Supporting the family unit through the direct involvement of each family member's talents, interests and abilities.
- Providing a quality product without compromising a wholesome environment.
- Being a godly role model promoting the awareness of a higher accountability.
CYT expects students to dress modestly and appropriately, in a way that promotes a healthy environment and eliminates distractions, therefore:
- Overly tight or revealing clothing is not acceptable.
- Midriffs must be covered, even when arms are raised or when seated. No off-the-shoulder shirts.
- Undergarments are not to be visible or exposed.
For rehearsals, students are expected to wear closed-toe shoes and comfortable clothing that permits movement for dancing (no blue jeans or flip flops!).
Click here for more dress code details.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- CYT is a privilege and only good behavior is allowed. Respect for teachers, staff, and parents is expected at all times.
- Honoring language will always be used. Name-calling, profanity, and/or inappropriate actions will not be tolerated.
- CYT expects students' conduct to be respectful to property, and therefore, any damage to property will be repaired or replaced by the student.
- CYT expects purity of self in relationships with others and one's own body; therefore, drugs, alcohol, or smoking are strictly prohibited. Overt physical contact between students is inappropriate at CYT activities.
- CYT wants all students to do their best and believe the Lord will do a good work in their lives.
- CYT students that are cast in the show are required to attend their CYT classes for the entire 10 week session, including Showcase on the last day of class.
There will be a $20 processing fee on all refunds. For classes and camps, each day that your student has attended will be prorated and deducted from your refund. There will be no refunds after the beginning of the third class/camp day. Students who audition for a show are not eligible for a refund.
We reserve the right to cancel any workshop, class, camp, or event with low enrollment. Should any cancellations occur, you will receive 48 hours notice and a full refund.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS CYT?
Christian Youth Theater (CYT) is an after-school theater arts training program for students ages 4-18. CYT stands in the forefront in its commitment to the highest ethical, moral, technical and artistic standards of excellence. Instructors are professionals, qualified in teaching and/or performing, who must understand our mission statement, values, objectives and goals. All CYT staff strive to be excellent role models. Parents can learn more about CYT by downloading A Parent's Guide to CYT.
HOW DOES CYT WORK?
CYT offers 2 sessions of theater arts classes per year for children as an after-school activity. Classes meet once a week for 2 hours, teaching drama, voice, dance and a broad spectrum of specialty theatrical workshops. Enrolled students have the opportunity to audition and perform on stage in a Broadway-style musical performed for the community. In addition, summer camps, workshops, fundraiser events, and leadership programs round out the CYT program. CYT's structured classes and productions provide a safe place for young people to build character, values, and confidence while learning a variety of theater arts skills.
HOW WAS CYT STARTED?
CYT is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) corporation founded in San Diego, CA in 1981. Since then, California CYT has grown to be the largest youth theater in the nation. There are now branches in cities across the country providing education and training to over 9,000 students a year with programs in Atlanta, GA; Spokane, WA; Kansas City, MO; Denver, CO; New York, NY; Sacramento, CA; Houston, TX; and more. CYT Upstate is proud to be a part of the CYT family!
CYT Upstate is an official licensee of CYT San Diego, California. Visit the national CYT website at www.cyt.org.
ARE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE?
Yes, scholarships are available for any family that wants to participate in CYT classes or camps, but is experiencing financial difficulties. Scholarships awarded may be applied towards tuition for class and summer camp sessions, up to 50% of the tuition amount. Exceptions to this rule will be considered on a case by case basis and must be approved by the CYT Upstate Board of Directors. Scholarships are not awarded to cover the costs of production related fees or production items such as t-shirts, makeup kits and costume items. Forms must be submitted prior to the first day of class or camp. Late scholarship applications cannot be accepted. To learn more, download the Scholarship Policy & Application PDF.
I WANT TO WORK FOR CYT! WHO SHOULD I CONTACT?
CYT is always looking for experienced teachers, camp counselors, technicians, directors, choreographers, music directors, and more. If you're interested in working with CYT, send your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.